The Colchester Jewish Community was established in the late 1800s as a Baron De Hirsch Agricultural settlement, an opportunity for Jews to recapture our ancestors’ attachment to the land. Jews were welcomed to Colchester, and the community grew rapidly as the influx of Jews brought new vibrancy to the town. At one time, Colchester was half Jewish, and boasted two kosher butchers, and a kosher bakery. Jewish resorts and summer camps were established near town, and Colchester became a resort for Jews from New York seeking the peace and tranquility of the country. After World War II, many survivors of the Holocaust settled in town.
Our Congregation, Ahavath Achim, (“Brotherly Love”) was established in 1898, and has served the community with pride ever since. We are deeply rooted here — many families are descendants of the original Jewish community of Colchester. However, we welcome newcomers to our community with warmth and enthusiasm.
For many years the community was aging, but in the recent past, many young families have joined us and become active members. We put a lot of emphasis on our Religious School and other family-oriented programs and activities.Please come and meet us. We will make sure you feel that our home town is yours. A History of the Colchester Jewish Community written by Seymour S. Weisman is available for download in two parts. Click on the links below.